Monday, March 23, 2015

Two Incredible Weeks -- Two Baptisms!!

Note:  This post includes letters from both March 16 and 23.

Riley baptizes Jovita
March 23, 2015

This week was another great week down here in Mexi-cow!   We’ve had much success in teaching our investigators and recent converts and menos activos and total!    We had many many many lessons and my Spanish is getting better and better and better!   The highlight this week was... another baptism! Her name is Jovita and she’s been a rock star with faith ever since we met her!   She’s had an insane desire ever since we started teaching her and she gave up smoking, alcohol, coffee, her boyfriend and a few other things just so she could be clean and make this covenant with God!   It’s been truly incredible to watch her learn and grow throughout the past few weeks and I have to say she is the most emotional lady I have ever met-- in a good way!   But during the baptism she cried and cried and cried and said AMEN like 50 times!   This was a big highlight for me especially because she asked me to perform the ordinance!   It was so scary but so awesome!   The prayer isn’t as scary as just remembering her full name!   Darn Mexican names are so hard! ... and long... we are talking 4 names!   It’s just torture for us missionaries!    But it was awesome!   I said the prayer and before I dunked her I whispered to her to bend her knees... which she did NOT do!   Oh man she planked hard and fast like she couldn’t wait any longer to get under that water and I just about fell in with her!  hahaha   It was so so funny but luckily after a few long seconds I got my footing and got her back up and out!   Todo esta bien!   Phew!   haha But what a wonderful experience it was!   We had our first convert (Rebecca) give her testimony and holy cow I swear she knows more about this gospel than me!   I just sat there dumbfounded for like 5 minutes!   I couldn’t believe she’s so smart and she’s got such a strong testimony and I just sat there like a dummy not believing my ears!   But how rewarding that was to see!   She’s truly truly converted and it’s such an honor to be a small part in that conversion! 

Also I think I mentioned last week that we got a new water heater.  It’s very very slick and very expensive but the hard part is there were no instructions for how to operate it so long story short... I almost blew up the whole block!   Don’t worry mom and dad no one got hurt and really it was a blessing because the fire ball totally took off my scruff and I didn’t have to shave that day!  JK   Don’t worry, it wasn’t that bad... just a little scary.   I’ve learned since then how to use it! 

Some days are a little rainy and cloudy and oh how I love it!   It’s such a blessing!   We don’t have any more baptisms for a while but that’s ok.    I’m focusing on getting all the little stuff down because my training is just about up!   I can’t believe how long I’ve been here!   Each day flies by and it’s so hard to keep up!   But really it’s great!   I love the people, the food, the streets... (sometimes), our investigators and our ward.   I am truly blessed!

Elder McClure Over and Out
Food Fun!!
March 16, 2015



Another week has come and gone!      And..... we had a baptism!  It was totally awesome!!!

Armando is totally a miembro of the Church now and he’s grown so much!    Seriously he went from smoking 2 packs a day to nada in no time at all!  His faith is so strong and really once he put his faith in the Lord he was able to do it!   His baptism service was really really good and the boiler even worked so the water wasn’t ice cold!  I gave the most incredible 1 min talk ever to be recorded and once it was over I like collapsed in my chair because all my adrenalin was gone and it was bad!   His wife’s parents came to support him and that was the best!   (His wife passed away a few months ago and was a member of the Church.  Once she passed he realized the importance of the sealing power and started investigating the church more!)   We are super happy for him and we have another baptism set for this week, a hermana named Jovita.  I’m kinda super duper really kinda nervous because she asked me to baptize her... oh man I’m so nervous!

This week we had the coolest experience of almost getting mugged!   I won’t tell the full story because mother I don’t want you worrying too too much about me but I’ll say this... because of the Spirit and a little bit of common sense... we were safe and fine but it was super crazy to realize the situation we had been in after the moment had passed.   I’m so grateful we are protected as missionaries!   As long as we are doing the right thing at the right time and in the right place we never have to worry!   And lucky for me I have a wonderful comp that is like me in wanting to be 100% obedient!   So we were fine and it was totally cool!

I got a ton of letters this week!   We are talking like so many that when I had to carry them in my bag from the church to my house... I’m pretty sure my spine snapped and I’m gonna have back problems for the rest of my life!   So many letters and I’ve just been soaking them up every night before bed and just loving it!

We had an incredible week with 34 lessons and one baptism-- pretty much the dream for any missionary!   Tons of investigators are progressing and we are healthy and happy!   Our water heater totally broke and so we had cold showers most this week but right now as I write we are having a new water heater (the tankless kind... pretty shnazzy right?) installed!   So I might just go home and take a hot shower after this hour of writing!

This morning during my study I found the most incredible scripture that just hits the spot!  2 Nefi 28:30:  For behold, thus saith the Lord God:  I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts, and lend an ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom; for unto him that receiveth I will give more; and from them that shall say, We have enough, from them shall be taken away even that which they have.

What a wonderful verse to explain how God works-- little by little we learn and God gives us more and more as we progress and continually work our way up the ladder!   But if we don’t keep trying to learn and grow... God will take it all away. Testimonies are key to this scripture.   That’s why I’m so so glad that I can be here in DF Sur bearing testimony time and time again and studying the gospel for many hours every morning!   I feel I have grown so much and I’m so grateful for this opportunity that I have!

Elder MexClure

Armando's Baptism!



No comments:

Post a Comment