Monday, January 26, 2015

First Week Has Been Great!

The Newbies with the President & His Wife

Elder Davis, My Comp, at our Desk

Elder Davis and Me
January 26, 2015

Hello!

My first week in the field and I’ve already been mugged!  The guy had a knife so I’m counting my blessings that I didn’t get stabbed and that he didn’t have a gun!  Just kidding! 

The Field is insanely amazing!  I have the best comp in the world and we are doing an amazing work!  We have like 10 people with baptismal dates and I don’t even know all their names because they have Mexican names and they are hard to remember!  We taught a total of 29 lessons last week so we are sooo insanely busy!  So many people just want to learn about the gospel!  I don’t understand a whole lot of what is said, but I’m guessing I understand about 60 percent!  And I can’t talk worth a darn!  So I bare my testimony at the end and that’s about it!

Mexican food is delicios!  I’m getting more and more fat each day!  Our meals with the members are at 2 pm and it’s like our only real meal of the day--it’s weird.  My comp’s name is Elder Davis and he is from Sandy, Utah!  He’s pretty much my twin!  So we get along well and I’m so proud to say that we are 100% obedient!  That is why we are so blessed!

There are dogs everywhere and I step in a lot of poop.  It’s gross … and the dogs are gross, too; but sometimes a cute one will follow us around.  I think it feels the Spirit that we have with us.  haha  Oh might I say what area I’m in!  I’m in Iztacalco.  I’m not sure if that’s how you spell it!  It’s a dump and right in the city!  There are 4 of us elders in the ward.  I gave the closing prayer in sacrament meeting which was really scary.  I think I wet myself a little!  I’m in the Jardines Ward.  We walk probably 10 miles a day, if not more, and I’m very sweaty and gross all the time!

My mission prez is cool, but I can’t understand a word he says because he has a terrible accent! Sometimes we take the hippie van buses to get around.  It’s 4 pesos a ride and they are always jam packed!  So I think I’ve broken the rule of not being too close to women cuz man we are packed like sardines!  The hippie vans are called combis--something like that.  My comp has only been here 3 months, so he came straight out of training himself; so sometimes it’s really hard, but he is practically fluent so that’s a true blessing!  I have good news and bad news.... good news first... my tongue is starting to get feeling back-- like 50% (Riley lost feeling in his tongue following removal of his wisdom teeth).   Bad news ... my bottom right gum where I  got the wisdom tooth pulled is infected again, I think.  It’s an open wound and all yellow and puffy.  Not sure what to do, but we’ll figure it out! 

Life is so good!  I love it here!  The language is so hard, but I’m gonna give myself a good 3 or 4 weeks before I let myself get down on how bad I am at it!  I pray all is well in the promised land! I miss grass ... and clean streets ... and drivers who actually had to pass a test before getting their licenses ... and the snow ... and clean air ... and carpet ... and girls--mostly girls though.  haha 

Have fun Fort Collins.  I’ll see you in a week!

Elder McClure

P.S.  Mom I’m safe!  Literally I don’t feel in danger at all!  And I’ve had like no culture shock!   Just love this place!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment